Caring for your Exotic Pet
Exotics have very specific management and nutritional needs. Incorrect management and diet can result in a variety of health problems and even death. The requirements of each exotic species vary greatly so if you would like advice we have a special exotics department that will be able to provide you with the information required. Click on the links below for further information on caring for your exotic pet.
Our exotics department is run by Chris Artingstall, BVSc, MRCVS who was veterinary officer for Bristol Zoo for many years. During his career Chris has amassed a wealth of experience with all exotic species, including llamas, alpacas, primates, birds and reptiles as well as our increasingly popular small furry patients (rabbits, guinea pigs and ferrets). Chris is helped by Tim Knott who has a particular interest in fish disease and also ophthalmology in all species.Services available within our exotic department include:-
- Endoscopy for disease diagnosis and surgical sexing
- Reptile medicine and surgery
- Avian medicine and surgery
- Exotic mammal medicine and surgery
- 24 hour hospitalisation
- Fully equipped lab with dedicated laboratory staff
- Advanced anaesthesia facilities including blood pressure monitoring, pulse oximetry and electrocardiography.